How Many Days Until May 22, 2022
More about May 22
What is special about May 22nd?
May 22 is the 142nd day of the year and 143rd in leap years in the Gregorian calendar. 223 days remain until the end of the year.
What is celebrated on May 22?
The United Nations has proclaimed May 22. The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
Fun Facts about May
- It is the third and last month of the season of spring.
- The United Kingdom celebrates May as the National Smile Month.
- The last week of May is Library and Information Week.
- The month of May is devoted to the Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church.
- The birthstone of May, the emerald, symbolizes success and love.
- May in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to November in the Southern Hemisphere.
- May was once considered a bad luck month to get married. There is an interesting poem that says “Marry in May and you’ll rue the day”.
- In Old English May is called the “month of three milking” referring to a time when the cows could be milked three times a day.
- The Indianapolis 500 car race is held each year during this month.
- The Kentucky Derby, the world’s most famous horse race, is also held on the second Saturday of this month.
- School Principals’ Day on May 1
- May 2 is World Tuna Day.
- Root Canal Awareness Week on May 4
- No Socks Day celebrated on May 8
- 14 May is a Dance Like a Chicken Day.
- May 28 – Slugs Return from Capistrano Day.
“May” in Other Languages
- Spanish – mayo
- Latin – Maius
- Italian – maggio
- Chinese (Mandarin) – wuyuè
- Danish – maj French – mai
- Roman: Maius
- Saxon: Thrimilci
- Germanic: Wonne-mond
Celebrities Who was born and Died on May 22?
Famous Birthdays on May 22
- 1999 – Camren Bicondova, American actress.
- 1989 – Corey Dickerson, American baseball player.
- 1984 – Dustin Moskovitz, American entrepreneur, co-founder of Facebook.
- 1983 – Natasha Kai, American soccer player and Olympic medalist.
- 1982 – Apolo Ohno, American speed skater.
- 1981 – Daniel Bryan, American wrestler.
- 1979 – Maggie Q, American actress.
- 1976 – Christian Vande Velde, American cyclist.
- 1972 – Max Brooks, American author and screenwriter.
- 1969 – Cathy McMorris Rodgers, American lawyer and politician.
- 1966 – Johnny Gill, American singer-songwriter and producer.
- 1962 – Brian Pillman, American football player and wrestler (d. 1997).
- 1957 – Lisa Murkowski, American lawyer and politician.
- 1942 – Roger Brown, American basketball player (d. 1997).
- 1942 – Ted Kaczynski, American academic and mathematician turned anarchist and serial murderer (Unabomber).
- 1938 – Susan Strasberg, American actress (d. 1999).
- 1939 – Paul Winfield, American actor (d. 2004).
Famous Birthdays on May 22
- 2015 – Marques Haynes, American basketball player and coach (b. 1926).
- 2012 – Wesley A. Brown, American lieutenant and engineer (b. 1927).
- 2008 – Robert Asprin, American soldier and author (b. 1946).
- 2010 – Martin Gardner, American mathematician, cryptographer, and author (b. 1914).
- 2011 – Joseph Brooks, American director, producer, screenwriter, and composer (b. 1938).
- 2004 – Richard Biggs, American actor (b. 1960).
- 1997 – Alfred Hershey, American biochemist and geneticist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1908).
- 1991 – Stan Mortensen, English footballer and manager (b. 1921).
- 1992 – Zellig Harris, American linguist and academic (b. 1909).
- 1990 – Rocky Graziano, American boxer (b. 1922).
- 1967 – Langston Hughes, American poet, social activist, novelist, and playwright (b. 1902).
- 1938 – William Glackens, American painter and illustrator (b. 1870).
- 1861 – Thornsbury Bailey Brown, American soldier (b. 1829).
- 1802 – Martha Washington, First, First Lady of the United States (b. 1731).
Historical Events on May 22 (source)
- 2017 – United States President Donald Trump visits the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Then it becomes the first sitting U.S. president to visit the Western Wall.
- 2012 – Tokyo Skytree opens to the public. It is the tallest tower in the world (634 m). The second tallest man-made structure on Earth after Burj Khalifa (829.8 m).
- 1969 – Apollo 10’s lunar module flies within 8.4 nautical miles (16 km) of the moon’s surface.
- 1939 – World War II: Germany and Italy sign the Pact of Steel.
- 1906 – The Wright brothers are granted U.S. patent number 821,393 for their “Flying-Machine”.
- 1864 – American Civil War: After ten weeks, the Union Army’s Red River Campaign ends in failure.
- 1863 – American Civil War: Union forces begin the Siege of Port Hudson which lasts 48 days. It is the longest siege in U.S. military history.