How Many More Days Until March 9th, 2022
More About March 9th
The date March 9th is the 68th day of the year (69th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. From this day, two hundred ninety-seven (297) days remain until the end of the year.
Season (Northern Hemisphere): Spring
March comes from the Roman god of war, “Mars.” March is the start of Spring for many years.
It was also the start of the New Year. Most European used March as the start of the year. Britain used the month of March 25 as the beginning of the New Year until 1752.
The brown buds thicken on the trees,–Elizabeth Akers Allen (1832–1911)
Unbound, the free streams sing,
As March leads forth across the leas
The wild and windy spring.
Fun Facts about March
- March is the first month in Spring which starts between March 19-21.
- In the , March (Southern Hemisphere) is the same as September in Northern Hemisphere.
- Each year the March and June end on the same day of the week.
- It is the month of the year when animals wake up from their hibernation.
- March Madness is a basketball tournament which is played by the NCAA.
- Easter is sometimes celebrated in March.
Holidays and Observances on March 9th
- Read Across America Day (Dr. Seuss Birthday)
- Saint Patrick’s Day
- Pi Day
- Daylight Saving Day
- Women’s History Month
- National Nutrition Month
- American Red Cross Month
- Fire Prevention Month
- National Barbie Day
- Bang-Clang Day
- National Get Over It Day
- Amerigo Vespucci Day
- National Meatball Day
- False Teeth Day
- Joe Franklin Day
- National Crabmeat Day
- Get Over It Day
- National Meatball Day
- Barbie Day
- National Panic Day
- Organize Your Home Office Day – March 9, (Second Tuesday)
- Unique Names Day – March 9, (Tuesday of First Week in March, Celebrate Your Name Week)
Birth Flower of the Month
- The Birth Flower(s) for March are:
- The Jonquil (well known as Narcissus or Daffodil)
- Meaning of the word Daffodil is friendship and domestic happiness.
March in Other Languages
- Spanish – Marzo
- Latin – Martius
- Chinese (Mandarin) – sanyuè
- Danish – Marts
- Italian – Marzo
- French – Mars
- Roman: Martius
- Germanic: Lenz-mond (Springtime month)
- Saxon: Hrethmonath
Famous Weddings on March
- 1796 – Napoléon Bonaparte (French Leader ) marries Joséphine de Beauharnais.
Births and Deaths on March 9th
- 1990 – YG (rapper), American rapper
- 1986 – Brittany Snow,actress, and producer in America
- 1985 – Jesse Litsch, American baseball player
- 1984 – Julia Mancuso, American skier
- 1983 – Wayne Simien, American basketball player
- 1983 – Clint Dempsey (An American international soccer player)
- 1981 – Antonio Bryant, American football player
- 1981 – Clay Rapada, American baseball player
- 1960 – Linda Fiorentino, American actress
- 1961 – Rick Steiner, American wrestler
- 1959 – Lonny Price, ( Actor, director, and screenwriter in America)
- 2020 – John Bathersby, Catholic bishop (b. 1936)- Australian
- 2016 – Robert Horton, American actor (birth. 1924)
- 2016 – Clyde Lovellette, an American basketball player and also coach (birth. 1929)
- 2013 – Merton Simpson, painter and art collector in America (birth. 1928)
- 2010 – Willie Davis, baseball player, and manager in America (birth. 1940)
- 2010 – Doris Haddock, activist, and politician in America (birth. 1910)
- 2011 – David S. Broder, journalist, and academic in America(b. 1929)
- 2003 – Stan Brakhage, director, and cinematographer in America (b. 1933)
- 1997 – The Notorious B.I.G., rapper, songwriter, and actor in America(b. 1972)
Historical Events on March 9th (1)
- 2011 – After 39 flights, Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing .
- 1967 – Trans World Airlines Flight 553 crashes in Concord Township, Ohio, killing twenty six people.
- 1945 – World War II: Japanese forces a coup d’état by in French. Indochina removes French from power.
- 1944 – World War II: the Soviet Army planes attack in Tallinn, Estonia.
- 1942 – World War II: Dutch East Indies surrendered unconditionally to the Japanese forces in Kalijati, Subang, West Java.
- 1847 – Mexican–American War: First large-scale amphibious assault in U.S. history which is launched in the Siege of Veracruz.
- 1862 – American Civil War: USS Monitor and CSS Virginia fight to a draw in Hampton Roads’ Battle, the first battle between two ironclad warships.